A couple weekends ago Kyle and I left the kids behind (thanks to our neighbors and Uncle Clark and Uncle Ken's girlfriend Amy for taking such good care of them) and jetted up to NYC for some adult time. We checked out this theater production that I had been dying to see. And when I use the word "theater" I use it in the loosest terms and by "see" I really mean "participate in". We went to see Sleep No More. Wow, it was an experience. You can Google the show and find tons of reviews and write-ups, like the one here in the Washington Post describing it as part ‘Macbeth,’ part ‘Hitchcock’ and part haunted house. That pretty much sums it up.
The scene is set in a hotel, 60 plus rooms, 6 floors, two huge warehouses make up the hotel/theater. You walk into a dark narrow hallway, check all of your belongings, and are escorted to the hotel bar, live jazz music plays while you get a drink and wait for your number to be called. You are split up from the moment your number is called, you are escorted to a room to get your white mask, instructed not to speak or take off your mask all night. You can touch anything, roam around, watch the actors, participate, whatever you choose, but no talking. If you get lost, good luck, the stewards of she show will only help you if you are desperate to get out of there.
Kyle and I both thought the 3 hours flew by and enjoyed every exhilarating moment, running up stairs, chasing actors and following along as the show progressed which often led to a larger "flash mob" type scene where there was a pivotal moment in the story. The show is created so you see enough of what you need to, by luring you in and getting you to follow the crowd to a specific scene. Anyway, you can read more on Google. It was very fun and very "outside the box". Not to mention, a night away in NYC with no kids was fun too. We ate great food, saw good friends and enjoyed a little down time.
Here we are with our friends Liz and Dave after the show.
0 comments:
Post a Comment